|Cambridge Train Station|
|Cambridge Market Square with Great St. Mary's Church in the background|
|King's College Gatehouse Building front|
King's was founded in 1441 by Henry VI, soon after he had founded its sister college in Eton. However, the King's plans for the college were disrupted by the Wars of the Roses and resultant scarcity of funds, and his eventual deposition. Little progress was made on the project until in 1508 Henry VII began to take an interest in the college, most likely as a political move to legitimize his new position. The building of the college's chapel, begun in 1446, was finally finished in 1544 during the reign of Henry VIII.
|King's College Chapel|
|King's College Chapel West Window|
|King's College Chapel Rood Screen|
|Adoration of the Magi by Rubens serves as an altarpiece|
Unfortunately, Ruben's painting was so big that the raised floor of the chapel's east end, required by the 1448 Founder's Will, would have to be lowered and leveled to prevent the baroque artwork obscuring the bottom of the Last Judgment window.
|The Last Judgment West Window|
|The Gibbs Building and front court|
This building, named after its architect James Gibbs , was begun in 1724. It is constructed in White Portland Stone. It was the only part to be built of a large scheme that Gibbs designed, which was planned to include similar buildings on the south and east side of the front court. The Gibbs' Building now contains Fellows' rooms, the Tutorial Office and the Turing Room (student computer room).
Henry VI drew up detailed plans for a ‘great court’ enclosed on all four sides like most Oxford and Cambridge courts. Until 1828 the Chapel had rough stones jutting out of the eastern corner of the south wall, where the screen joins the Chapel now. These stones were left so that they could join any buildings built along the eastern side of the court. As late as 1877 there were plans to build rooms where the screen is, but the plans never came to fruition. When it became obvious that the court was not going to be properly enclosed, the Chapel wall was finished.
|The college gatehouse and the Wilkins' Building|
The Wilkins' Building was completed in 1828. William Wilkins designed the screen, gatehouse, and the main part of the Wilkins' Building. The building work involved the controversial demolition of half the buildings in King's Parade.
|King's College Dining Hall|